

Trigger Warnings: None required

Item No. Item Title Meeting Notes Actions



1 New Group Proposals	 Omani Society JC: can't identify any risks apart from financial support. Want to be a cultural group. Shortened to OSSB. 15 names of people interested shared. Group needs to charge a £3 membership fee. Does anyone have any thoughts? JS: lots of cultural groups. Student body and cohort changes every year- groups like this seem to be more at risk of de-recognition statistically. Just a point to note JC: seems to be a trend around de-recognition within cultural groups. We need to be consistent in our decision making though JS: there are 71 Omani students at UOB JC: no one else has any other 	
Proposals	 de-recognition within cultural groups. We need to be consistent in our decision making though JS: there are 71 Omani students at UOB 	



1) To increase membership fee to a	
minimum of £3. If want to	
increase beyond £3 for this	
increase to be approved on	
Chair's Action	
GC: Yes	
JC: Yes	
JS: Yes	
FA: Yes	
Dancing Street Society	
JC: group want to help people	
learn to street dance. Main risk is	
just injuries from dancing. £8	
membership fee	
GA: we have reached out to BUDS	
for feedback in the last week but	
haven't heard back yet	
 JC: I think we need to hear back 	
about crossover before we	
approve. How long do we give	
them? It is their show week this	
week. Do we give it another 2	
weeks?	
 SM: could suggest a Chair's Action 	
decision pending what BUDS say	
decision penuing what bobb say	



or bring it back to Activities Committee JC: constitution seems fine- nothing alarming. I agree with suggestion of Chair's Action once we hear back from BUDS
Committee agree to seek further
information about crossover, with a
decision to be made on chairs action
based on the following criteria being
met:
1) That BUDS do not have any concerns around crossover with their society.
If concerns are cited then for the
constitution to come back to be
reviewed on Chair's Action
GC: Yes
JC: Yes
JS: Yes
FA: Yes
Mantality Society



JC: discussion based meetings
around masculinity. Open to new
ideas, inviting guest speakers to
campus. Lots of social events-
want to be fairly casual for
discussion and learning. Mantality
looks at men's mental health as a
national organisation- have spoken
to the national organisation too.
Want to keep conversations
positive and not toxic. Want to
affiliate to mentality. Peoples
thoughts?
GC: think it's very positive. Do we
need to be careful about what
category they are in?
SM: indoor isn't a category
anymore- would be interest or
activity. You can decide this as a
committee
 JS: reads as a mental health
society for men- we rejected
Breathe for being a mental health
group
 JC: in objectives they don't talk
about mental health. Mediated
space to talk about masculinity



	 GC: they don' have a group or page. Interest post on fab & fresh GA: would likes given be an equivalent to a post? SM: possibly less commitment from those liking it JC: I think it's an interesting group AS: what would be the reason you wouldn't approve? JC: can't think of one/ Need to prove their interest levels though. Otherwise seems fine SM: for quoracy will need to get someone else to agree outcomes on email JC: I think we should give conditional approval based on proving 15 people interest level 	
con on t con	 mittee unanimously agree to ditionally approve the group based he group meeting the following dition:) To prove they have a minimum of 15 people interested in becoming part of the group. For this to be proven by collecting 	



15 signatures of students or through people following a
dedicated UOB Mantality Society group page
GC: Yes JC: Yes JS: Yes FA: Yes
Rivercourt Church Birmingham
 JC: religious group- want to win souls. Develop relationship with God. Want to change lives on campus- speakers, bible study and retreats. Recognise there would be a crossover with PENSA. Believe main difference would be around Bible study and different activities. Chaplaincy have a lot of concerns. Already have a Pentecostal group- chaplaincy question their intentions GA: First Love had no issues with crossover. We haven't heard anything back from PENSA





 FA: all of the people following their Instagram page look like they are from London and affiliated to the London church there JC: I think we may need more information from them before looking at this again SM: would suggest you look at getting feedback from PENSA and GIFT and look at other group constitutions to consider crossover GA: do you want to attach a timeframe on a response time on this from the groups? JC: yes- three weeks?
Committee unanimously agree to go out for further information in regards to this new group proposal before making a decision. For the information to be sourced to be as follows: 1) To gain feedback from PENSA and GIFT around potential crossover. For these groups to be given 3 weeks to respond to that information request



2) For GIFT, PENSA and First Love	
constitutions to be checked for	
potential crossover directly by	
dedicated Coordinator	
Once information is sourced, for new	
group proposal to return to Activities	
Committee for consideration.	
GC: Yes	
JC: Yes	
JS: Yes	
FA: Yes	
Emirati Society	
JC: want to operate for Emirati	
students and run lots of social	
events and also cultural events.	
This group is coming back to	
Activities Committee- group don't	
want to remove affiliation so this is	
part of the reason it is coming back	
to Activities Committee. £0	
membership fee	
GA: group are happy to work on	
other bits just had issues with the	
affiliation	



JC: you can't affiliate to only one
person
GC: European parliament
boycotting UAE on basis of human
rights concerns was a point raised
last time and that was the biggest
concern. We do have a campus in
Dubai though
AS: EU have done that but we
aren't part of the EU anymore.
Country has close relations with
UAE. Don't know enough about
affiliations process for us as a
charity. All students should be able
to contest affiliations. Definitely
couldn't affiliate to a
political/terrorist organisation.
Could approve in principle but then
sense check whether we can
affiliate to a foreign government
AS: quite prestigious/sense of
home to link back to country of
origin for cultural groups. Could
approve in principle pending
investigation on affiliation
JC: I brought this up in FTOG-
everyone agreed that if it was legal
it should be allowed



	AS: what did Jo say?	
	JC: said it seemed fine- didn't have	
	any instant concerns	
	SM: The attache is a post, rather	
	than a department	
	JC: can you affiliate to a position?	
	AS: bit weird- affiliating to a	
	department would make more	
	sense	
	JC: there is no guidance in the	
	student groups' policy about	
	affiliations either. If it is legal, and	
	doesn't contravene Charity laws, I	
	think we should allow the affiliation	
	as long as other changes are also	
	agreed	
•	Committee unanimously agree to	
•	conditionally approve Emirati society	
1	based on the following conditions	
1	being met:	
	1) For affiliations to be allowed so	
	long as ones listed are legal and	
	do not contravene any charity	
	laws. For this to be clarified by	
	Josephine Conway or Adam	
	Sheridan	



2) For the other changes agreed at
the last meeting to still be met.
These changes are as follows:
1) changing membership fee to a
minimum of £3
2) Removing the duplicate Chair
3) defining committee roles so that
people have listed responsibilities
4) Secretary to be listed as Secretary
and not Vice Chair
GC: Yes
JC: Yes
JS: Yes
FA: Yes



		 JC: CSS want to host an AGM in a different time period which was agreed to. 	
		Railway Society also want to hold	
		their election on a different date	
		and this was agreed to as well	
		Metal society- added a social sec	
		role and have been asked to move	
		their constitution onto a more	
		updated template	
2	Chairs Actions	Sign language- fundraising and	
2	Document	campaigning role and more onto a	
		more updated template	
		Mountaineering grant query	
		resolved	
		No concerns/issues raised by	
		Activities Committee.	
		GC: Yes	
		JC: Yes	
		JS: Yes	
		FA: Yes	



3	Emergency Grant Applications	 Malaysian Society JC: Malaysian society have over £1,000 in their account. Are they asking for £300? GA: they are asking for £100 JC: want the £100 for the EGM for snacks and drinks. Want to entice more members to come. I don't think we should approve GC: I agree we shouldn't approve SM: reason would need to go in line with grants procedure JC: do we need to reference a specific point from grant SM: need to make a decision based on how you think you would handle future requests JC: I think we should reject as this is not in line with objectives
		Committee unanimously agree to reject emergency grant request based on items being requested not being in line with their constitutional
		objectives: GC: No



	JC: No	
	JS: No	
1	FA: No	
4	Anime and Manga Society	
	• JC: want £400- say they lost this	
	money due to email outage at the	
	time. Think that emails caused the	
	issue of the payment and	
	miscommunication/service issues	
	from the student group account.	
	Want the money to pay for a	
	bookcase and equipment for	
	storage.	
	I have met with Anime society and	
	discussed this. The emails were	
	down for 2 days. Group didn't try to	
	contact the team via other	
	methods. Have already received	
	money from us for a bookcase.	
	Cancelled venue without	
	contacting us. What are other	
	peoples' thoughts?	
	• GC: what would the grounds be for	
	not giving money- that we dispute	
	the information provided?	



SM: Emails were down. Payment	
was made to the venue and part of	
the reason they cancelled was	
because they were nervous it	
wouldn't be paid	
JC: we have limited money. Don't	
think it warrants us paying them	
back. They could have called,	
messaged on social media. They	
cancelled themselves and we have	
already given them money for	
bookcase.	
Committee unanimously move to	
reject the grant proposal based on the	
following reasoning: that while it is	
acknowledged emails were down,	
other forms of communication were	
available that weren't explored before	
a decision was made to cancel the	
activity planned, and because grant	
has already been provided towards a	
bookcase. If the group are struggling	
financially then they can apply for	
grant as part of current allocation set	
to close on 4 th April.	
GC: No	
	 was made to the venue and part of the reason they cancelled was because they were nervous it wouldn't be paid JC: we have limited money. Don't think it warrants us paying them back. They could have called, messaged on social media. They cancelled themselves and we have already given them money for bookcase. Committee unanimously move to reject the grant proposal based on the following reasoning: that while it is acknowledged emails were down, other forms of communication were available that weren't explored before a decision was made to cancel the activity planned, and because grant has already been provided towards a bookcase. If the group are struggling financially then they can apply for grant as part of current allocation set to close on 4th April.



	JC: No	
	JS: No	
	FA: No	



		Action Against Homelessness	
		JC: action against homelessness	
		new roles. All roles approved in	
		full- no issues raised	
		Committee vote to approve all	
		changes requested in full:	
		GC: Yes	
		JC: Yes	
		JS: Yes	
		FA: Yes	
4	Constitutional		
т	Changes	Friends of Nightline	
		 JC: Friends of Nightline- 4 new 	
		nata a theory constrained in All	
		roles they want to vote in. All	
		approved in full- no issues raised	
		approved in full- no issues raised	
		approved in full- no issues raised Committee vote to approve all changes requested in full:	
		approved in full- no issues raised Committee vote to approve all changes requested in full: GC: Yes	
		approved in full- no issues raised Committee vote to approve all changes requested in full: GC: Yes JC: Yes	
		approved in full- no issues raised Committee vote to approve all changes requested in full: GC: Yes JC: Yes JS: Yes	
		approved in full- no issues raised Committee vote to approve all changes requested in full: GC: Yes JC: Yes	
		approved in full- no issues raised Committee vote to approve all changes requested in full: GC: Yes JC: Yes JS: Yes	



Panto Soc	
 JC: Panto soc- group have added in new points around inclusivity. Discussion had about stake system developed. Discussion also about sharing drum kit between GMTG & Panto soc. Thoughts on fair casting contract? GC: do GMTG know this is going into their constitution? GA: I believe so SM: If they put things in aims then it is much more stringent. Think these are more operational points rather than something that should be listed within their aims. Issue with contract terminology being used too JC: agreement to be used as a word instead? SM: if no one signs though what is the recourse after that? JC: that is a good point. ABBA point isn't necessary to include. 2.1.7 change to agreement rather than contract? Should it come out 	
of the constitution?	



 FA: something they want to achieve
 SM: reads as a way in which to support committee members with
 how to run production team FA: sounds like they want to tick a box with putting this into their
 constitution AS: points the group have raised
are covered elsewhere within guild policyJC: go out for further information to
support? Isn't necessarily a rejection just want to understand further
 JC: 2.1.10 seems very strict and not necessary
 JS: do the committee know that people could make complaints against them if they don't do these things?
 AS: might be worth going out to the group to check their understanding of what putting
something in their constitution actually means. Concerns raised around 'living memory' point
 SM: specify 3 years in constitution





Γ			
		1) All of point 2.5 approved without issue	
		2) For 2.5.1- for the reference to	
		the lower GMTG store room to	
		be removed. Once removed can	
		be approved	
		3) Three strikes section: for the	
		whole section to be removed,	
		and for the group to be informed	
		about following Guild	
		complaints procedure and be	
		supported to find alternative	
		ways to implement practices	
		within their group via a	
		discussion with their dedicated	
		Coordinator	
		4) 2.1.7, 2.1.10 and 2.1.11- more	
		information required before a	
		decision can be made. Once	
		further information has been	
		provided, for points to be	
		approved on Chair's Action	
	C	GC: Yes	
	J	IC: Yes	
	J	IS: Yes	
	F	FA: Yes	



5Affiliations Discussion- JS: lots of affiliations are just to a national organisation e.g. Bloodsoc. Do affiliations lead to funding or sponsorship?5Affiliations DiscussionSM: some are affiliated to shops for example. Don't think affiliations being approved here are being shared elsewhere. A procedure needs to be written- would be good to get thoughts on where these should be approved from you.JC: I will do some work on this and come back to the committee with my findingsAdditional action: for Josephine Conway to conduct research on affiliations, and how they operate in other Unions, and to bring this information back to another Activities Committee before July 2022		 JC: affiliations- there is no current policy in place. I brought this up in FTOG and would be happy to do some more work on this. Does
	5	 anyone have any thoughts? JS: lots of affiliations are just to a national organisation e.g. Bloodsoc. Do affiliations lead to funding or sponsorship? SM: some are affiliated to shops for example. Don't think affiliations being approved here are being shared elsewhere. A procedure needs to be written- would be good to get thoughts on where these should be approved from you JC: I will do some work on this and come back to the committee with my findings Additional action: for Josephine Conway to conduct research on affiliations, and how they operate in other Unions, and to bring this information back to another Activities



		Pharmacy Society Debt
		SM: group were de-recced and
		started up again this year. Due to
		COVID a debt wasn't recognised
		at the time and the venue has
		since closed. The group is really
		struggling as a consequence of
		this debt. Can we cover this debt
		from the de-rec pot to help the
		group at all? Helped other groups
		in a similar way in the past.
		JC: I think we should be fair and
6	AOB	consistent and this would be a
		good reason to use funds
		Committee unanimously agree for the
		debt to be paid off from the de-
		recognition pot:
		GC: Yes
		JC: Yes
		JS: Yes
		FA: Yes
		JS: I would also like to take this
		opportunity to thank the student



|--|

Date & Time of next meeting: TBC