

# **Scrutiny Panel Meeting 3 Session**

# Thursday 31st March, 3:30pm-5pm:

#### Present:

Scrutiny Panel Members: Jack Bowen (JB), Lucy Shapley (LS), Shaun Keen (SK), Eloise Watkins (EW)

Officers: Robin Hayward (RH, Trans & Non-Binary Students Officer), Wei-Lun Chen (WLC, International Officer), Adam Dorey (AD, Campaigns Officer)

#### In Attendance:

Staff: Rozena Nadeem (RN, Democracy Coordinator, Minute-Taker), Houmaa Chaudhry (HC, Senior Representation Coordinator), Adam Sheridan (ASh, Director of Engagement)

### **Apologies:**

Scrutiny Panel Members: Jingke Lin (JL)

Officers: Eleanor Thomas (ET, LGBTQ+ Students Officer), Aaliyah Simms (AS, Welfare & Community Officer)

## **Absent Without Apologies:**

Officers: Louisa Martin (LM, Womens' Officer), Rachel Boucher (RB, Ethical & Environmental Committee), Imogen Mann (IM, Disabled Students Officer), George Christian (GC, Sports Officer)

**Trigger Warnings:** Inclusivity for international students, remote learning, Ukraine crisis, visa issues, transphobia, climate change, mental health

Item No.	Role	Notes
3:10pm - 3:25pm	International Officer	WLC and the Panel greeted each other.  SK asked WLC if he had any updates since submitting his report.  WLC had no questions, but asked the Panel to specify which details they wanted him to elaborate on.  EW: I had one question. It was really good to see your lobbying around online learning options. What support can be given to students who can't take their assessments in-person?  WLC: Those students are predominantly Chinese students who are currently in China. I haven't been contacted by any other students. The online assessment is now not possible according to laws.



Continuing students will be okay, some UG finalist students need further support though, which I'll be talking to senior University staff about.

**JB:** The support for Ukrainian students that you are providing is great, are you hoping to host another charity appeal in future, given that the situation may be ongoing?

**WLC:** We're not currently planning another charity appeal, but I am lobbying for money and funding for Ukrainian students and researchers. I also reached out to two societies – Carnival RAG and UNICEF - to collaborate on support.

**JB**: It's also wonderful to see your work with supporting Ukrainian students. How will you plan to work with societies to provide continued support to ensure that there isn't racial tension between different students groups?

**WLC:** There hasn't really been much tension, which is a positive thing.

**LS:** It's good to see that the International Student Team (IST) have expanded, as students weren't hearing from them from Semester 1.

**WLC:** In Semester 1, there was a lot of problems with communications from the IST. We raised the capacity issues with Senior Management, and they addressed these problems. Moving on, it's important for this capacity to be maintained. I will ensure that the next Officer works with them too.

LS: That's great to hear!

**SK:** Thinking about your work and relationship with Guild Advice, have you seen any improvements in our work with Guild Advice to support international students with visa issues following the last report?

**WLC:** In this case, an Advice escalation process has been set up, so Guild Advice can chase up queries regarding student visas.

**SK:** Could you elaborate on specific barriers to sport provision that international UoB students face, and how you would prioritise these in terms of planning future action?

**WLC:** I raised these with the Race Equality Stream, and talked to EDIE and UoB Sport about this. The priorities depends on their actions and strategy. The next EDI Committee will look at this.



		SK asked WLC if he had any questions.  WLC: You raised a good point about the IST comms, and I'll take your feedback into consideration.  WLC had no other questions, and thanked the Panel for their feedback, questions and ideas.  The Panel thanked WLC and WLC left the meeting.
3:45pm- 4:10pm	Officer Feedback	As no Officer took this time slot, the Panel used this time to work on their feedback report for the Officers.
4:10pm- 4:25pm	Trans & Non-Binary Students Officer	RH entered the waiting room.  RH and the Panel greeted each other.  SK asked RH if they had any updates since submitting their report.  RH provided the following updates:  I had a verbal update from the Education Officer about the gender neutral bathrooms. I haven't had a response from the Activities & Employability Officer. Gender neutral toilets are generally still making their way through different committees, the location of them have been changed  I had a meeting earlier this week about the statement on Dr. Kathleen Stock, following the All Student Meeting. The statement has received legal advice from what it seems, and the statement will be released in the next week or so.  EW: After the Beat UoB collaboration, what other collaborations would you like to plan?  RH: I've been wanting to collaborate with OStem for a while. There was feedback from the Trans Forum for there to be a regular trans social, so I would like to collaborate with another society too.  EW: This is not really a question, but I'd like to provide some encouraging feedback. It would be great to have an update on pronoun badges and gender options on Guild job applications.  RH: The Guild job applications query was resolved very quickly!



		<b>JB:</b> It's great to see how Trans & Non-Binary Forums have been created to create a safe space for trans and non-binary students to express their views etc. As you now look towards your second year in office, how will you ensure that this support remains consistent?
		RH: I would like the Forums to continue. I feel it makes sense for them to be towards the end of a Semester. A newsletter is a great idea, I can think about this.
		<b>JB:</b> This is great to see, I love seeing groups being set up to support communities of students.
		<b>LS:</b> Firstly, congratulations on being re-elected. Have you heard back on your funding request, and about pronoun badges?
		RH: Engagement on W&L Committee has been difficult, so the process of approval for the funding request has been fairly slow.
		<b>SK:</b> Well done on your report. How are you going to organise an event to include students from diverse backgrounds (e.g. commuter students, placement students who work long hours etc).
		RH: I would like to host the event in the evening, in light of commuter students and allowing them travel time. I'd probably like to do a bimodal meeting too.
		SK asked RH if they had any questions.
		RH had no questions, but thanked the Panel for their feedback, and mentioned that they really appreciate the Panel for doing their jobs.
		RH and the Panel thanked each other.
		RH left the meeting.
		ASh left the meeting.
4:25pm- 4:40pm	Officer Feedback Work	As no Officer took this time slot, the Panel used this time to work on their feedback report for the Officers.
4:40pm-		AD entered the waiting room.
4:55pm	Campaigns Officer	AD and the Panel greeted each other.
		SK asked AD if he had any updates since submitting his report.



AD provided the following updates:

 The Guild has sought legal advice for the Dr. Kathleen Stock statement, and there will be a statement, which will probably be released over Easter. I had a meeting with the Campaigns Officer elect, and will be working with them to make handover easier.

**SK:** We had updates from the Trans & Non-Binary Students Officer and President about the statement too.

**EW:** Great progress with the climate justice movement! The momentum over the Easter holidays is good. Could you tell us more about the petitions and signatures? How will you engage students with it?

**AD:** We'll need a lot of marketing work for it. We have a meeting coming up for it, and are still in planning stages.

EW: Has there been any backlash with using flyers?

**AD:** It's a good point. We ordered stickers which are recyclable.

**EW:** It's a balance – you need to get the message out about the event, but people might be over fussy over using flyers. You want people to know what is going on though.

AD: We can put a "please recycle me" sign on the flyers.

**EW:** Good to see the results from the Change in Mind campaign. How did the meeting with volunteers go?

**AD:** One person came, which is great. I met with the President of Breath Uni to help to promote it. I will look at engaging more volunteers. The focus needs to be on engaging student groups too.

**EW:** That makes sense, thank-you.

**JB:** Your progress with the Change in Mind campaign is great. How will you ensure that your successor will continue with the great work on this?

**AD:** Myself and the Campaigns Officer elect have agreed to meet a lot, maybe every two weeks. I'm hoping that this will go well and help to make the handover process smooth.



**LS:** I'm really impressed with everything you've done. Have you met with Breathe Uni and other societies, but you've answered this. Have you raised the idea of paid students who work on wellbeing with the Guild with anyone?

**AD:** Not yet. We had an Officer Away Day recently, and I shared my ideas with the other Officers. I think I've talked to the Student Voice Team and new Policy & Campaigns Coordinator too. I'm not really sure who I need to talk to, I'll have to find out.

**LS:** I have some feedback - you can maybe make the Activist Network event more casual with food rather than alcohol.

**SK:** All your work is fantastic. What specific priorities are you pushing for in terms of divestment?

**AD:** There is a list of CJS demands. We need to create a policy, then lobby the University to do the divestment. We have a long-term plan for this, involving three main things. I'm working with the President on this. The President is keen for the University to declare a climate emergency. We're hoping for a commitment by the end of this academic year.

**SK:** Now that you have key themes for divestment work, what work will you do to look at the work of external organisations?

AD: That's a really good point. I'll take this feedback on.

SK asked AD if he had any questions.

**AD:** We've been thinking about bureaucracy and democracy in the Guild, what do you think could change and stay the same in terms of Scrutiny Panel?

**EW:** I don't have anything that's an improvement. I think personally I think it's really interesting to get an insight into how complicated trying to make changes are.

**SK:** Scrutiny Panel runs well and we do the job well. If there's any complaints from my side, it just feels a bit separate from everything else in the Guild. Sometimes it's good we don't get involved in other things. If doing a democracy review, you could think about where else feedback can be given.

**EW:** We should make sure that our questions are meaningful and useful.



		SK: The Education Officer has a lot of scrutiny already from Reps, Education Committee etc, so they might have already been asked the same question about ten times.  AD had no further questions.  AD and the Panel thanked each other.  AD left the meeting.
4:55pm – 5:00pm	Panel Debrief	The Panel were debriefed.  The meeting closed.